"The press release published contains a number of incorrect and unverified claims and insinuations about behind-the-scenes activities of the state regarding the disposal of radioactive waste," the fund said.
Last week, opposition councillors in the Sisak-Moslavina County Assembly from the Bridge party, the Croatian Peasants' Party (HSS) and the Croatian Party of Rights (HSP) said in a press release that activities regarding the nuclear waste disposal site were continuing far from the eyes of the public, without any consultations with residents in that region.
"The Ministry of Energy and Environment on 31 March 2020 handed over the Cerkezovac barracks to the Fund financing the decommissioning of the the Krsko Nuclear Power Plant with the intention of presenting the matter to residents of the Banovina region as a fait accompli," the councillors said in the press release.
On Tuesday the Fund underscored that the handover of the premises was publicly announced on its website and in a press release on the day of the handover. The site was selected in line with a parliament decision while the national programme to implement the strategy to store radioactive waste determined the former Cerkezovac barracks as the preferred location to establish a centre to store radioactive waste, the fund said.